I'm going to get this electrical situation resolved one way or another. Right quick.
I have a service team from the electrical sub that's on our project going out to my house to check on the situation and whether they can repair it at less cost and with more expediency than the contractor I've been working with. I'm waiting for a call back from them.
I spoke to an inspector with the registrar of contractors this afternoon, who advised me the easiest way of going about this would be to speak to the contractor who we feel broke it, and give them the opportunity to make it right without going through the formal complaint process. If they don't make it right, I am well within my rights to have someone else do the work, file a complaint, and backcharge the first contractor for the cost.
I spoke to the supervisor of the three technicians who have been called out to my house over the past two months, who plans to come out tomorrow morning and take a look at the situation. He knew a little bit about it, having been advised by ElectricianBrian of the ongoing saga, but seemed to be a bit fuzzy on what caused the damage. I duly notified him that I have had two (just nearly three) other electricians look at it to bid the work, and that both of them indicated that the chances are something in the panel in the area where his electricians were working caused this damage. I also told him that I called his guys out several times with the same two complaints, and it was never properly diagnosed or resolved. I told him I have spoken to the registrar of contractors. I told him we are without power and staying in a hotel, and that we want at least a plan in place for a scheduled repair within 24 hours. I told him I would like it fixed on Monday so we don't have to check back into a hotel.
I think by the end of the conversation he had the picture that I was serious. He's "going to try" to get out first thing in the morning and see what APS stated as the problem and what the situation is currently, and he'll call me when he does. If I don't hear from him by 10:00 AM I'm calling him back. If he hasn't worked something out with me by noon (and if I have an alternate bid I'm happy with) I'm having someone else do the work and filing that complaint.
I am empowered consumer, hear me roar.